How to care for your cashmereOctober 2016
If you’re thinking of treating yourself to special cashmere knitwear this season, keep it in tip-top condition with our care tips.
Joy – who manages our boutique – has this advice: “I always advise customers to use a special shampoo which is specially designed for delicate fabrics. The secret is to handwash it separately so it doesn’t attract any other fibres and then always dry it flat.”
It’s not as tricky as you might think. It’s all about a light touch – stick to tepid not hot water, squeeze the suds gently through rather than rubbing and scrubbing, and press out excess moisture rather than wringing before drying naturally flat on a towel.
Here are 5 reasons we love our cashmere:
1. Cashmere is many times warmer than sheep’s wool, yet very much lighter. That’s what gives it its fine, unbulky, yet wonderfully warm, cosy quality.
2. And while it’s warm in the winter, it’s cool in the spring: cashmere isn’t just a luxury treat, it’s also a perhaps surprisingly durable and practical choice.
3. Cashmere is an investment. At David Nieper, we prefer Italian cashmere, famous for its exceptional quality, and make our garments to last, year after year, getting softer with age.
4. All our cashmere knits are crafted here in Derbyshire by our highly skilled machinists and checked with an eagle eye before they leave us.
5. We finish our cashmere jumpers in our soft local Derbyshire water for a lovely handle – it’s one of the reasons Derbyshire has such a long history of fine knitwear.